Running on a XP SP3 system.
I want to keep developing applications using VS2008 SP1, Expression Studio 3 and Silverlight 3. I don’t want to break anything.
I would like to download and start using VS2010 again without breaking anything.
I noticed the following installation issue regarding VS2010 and Silverlight 3 SDK.
Visual Web Developer in Visual Studio 2010 has support in box for Silverlight 3 development and includes the Silverlight 3 developer runtime and Silverlight 3 SDK build 3.0.40818.
Silverlight 3 Tools for Visual Studio 2008 and Expression Blend 3 included SDK build 3.0.40624.
Silverlight 3 SDK build 3.0.40818 cannot be installed on machine where build 3.0.40624 is already installed. If you install Visual Studio 2010 on a machine that already has build 3.0.40624 installed, Visual Studio 2010 will indicate that the Silverlight 3 SDK failed to install, however you will still be able to do Silverlight development on Visual Studio 2010 with build 3.0.40624.
Silverlight 3 SDK build 3.0.40818 contains the following updates:
- Remove dependency on .NET 3.5 and allow build when only .NET 4 is installed
- Support for use of non-unicode characters in xap name
- Improvements to refactoring and intellisense
To get build 3.0.40818of the Silverlight 3 SDK, uninstall Silverlight 3 SDK build 3.0.40624 from Add/Remove Programs and then install Silverlight 3 SDK build 3.0.40818 from: http://go2.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=157102.
I checked my own system using the Add/Remove Programs utility and found the following:
|Currently Installed Program||Version|
|Microsoft Silverlight 2 SDK||2.0.31005.0|
|Microsoft Silverlight 3 SDK||3.0.40624.0|
|Microsoft Silverlight 3 Toolkit – July 2009||3.0.30702.0037|
|Microsoft Silverlight 3 Tools for Visual Studio 2008 SP1 –ENU||9.0.30730.126|
I found that I can get the following Downloads:
|Microsoft Silverlight 3 Toolkit – Nov 2009||http://silverlight.codeplex.com/releases/view/36060|
|Microsoft Silverlight 3 SDK version 3.0.40818||http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=1ea49236-0de7-41b1-81c8-a126ff39975b&displaylang=en|
|Microsoft Silverlight 3 Tools for Visual Studio 2008 SP1 –ENU||http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=9442B0F2-7465-417A-88F3-5E7B5409E9DD&displaylang=en|
- I do not develop for Silverlight 2, can this be safely uninstalled?
- In what order do I need to remove installed programs/versions and in what order do I need to install new versions?
- If I uninstall the Silverlight 3 Toolkit – July 2009, will this break existing applications using this toolkit?
- Can the Silverlight 3 Toolkit – July 2009 and Silverlight 3 Toolkit – Nov 2009 be safely installed side by side?
- Is there a general rule for what can and cannot be installed side by side with the various Silverlight components?
- I already have the current version for Microsoft Silverlight 3 Tools for Visual Studio 2008 SP1 –ENU installed. Will it need to be re-installed?
Thanks in advance for any replies.